The Coach’s Playlist is a two-minute read packed with information based on an essential part of coaching.
This week’s topic: Saying No
The Idea: If we say yes to everything, we won’t have time to do quality work, will feel disappointed, and might burn out.
“Saying no can be the ultimate self-care.” – Claudia Black
“It’s only by saying no that you can concentrate on the things that are really important.” – Steve Jobs
Book: William Ury, The Power of a Positive No
Resource 1: How to say no! (inspired by William Ury’s book):
- Identify the positive reason you want to say no. What is really motivating you to say no? What is your yes?
- Identify what you’ll do if the person doesn’t accept your no.
- Communicate your respect for the person making the request.
- Respectfully, but unapologetically explain the commitment that makes it impossible for you to say yes.
- Offer an alternative way that the requester can get what he or she needs.
- When appropriate, suggest some way that you might be able to partner in the future.
Resource 2: Use ICG’s brand new time management tool.