The Coach’s Playlist is a two-minute read packed with information based on an essential part of coaching.
This week’s topic: PEERS Goals
The Idea: The most effective goals are PEERS goals:
- Powerful – they will have a socially significant impact on students
- Emotionally Compelling – they matter deeply to teachers and students
- Easy – they involve as few roadblocks as possible
- Reachable – a strategy and a measurable outcome have been identified
- Student-focused – they have an impact on student engagement or achievement, or both
Quotation: “If there’s no goal, it’s just a nice conversation.” – John Campbell, Growth Coaching International
Book: Jim Knight, The Impact Cycle
Resource 1: A PEERS goal checklist
Resource 2: A short column on how to set goals
Resource 3: A column on habits, goals, learning, and beliefs
Question: Are your coaching interactions guided by PEERS goals?
Professional Development: The Instructional Coaching Institute