Welcome to ICG Certification
Welcome to ICG Certification!
The Instructional Coaching Group is committed to one goal: “that every student will experience excellent instruction, every day, in every class.” We are continually researching what we can do to make that goal a reality. At this point, we believe the best way for that goal to be realized is that schools employ and support instructional coaches who effectively implement the Impact Cycle.
Opens: November 1, 2021
Closes: January 31, 2022
We have created this certification process to clearly describe what excellent coaching is and to provide a target for any instructional coach interested in engaging in great coaching. Around the world, organizations are hiring coaches even though they are unclear about what kind of coaching approach they’re adopting and what effective coaching looks like.
We want our certification process to help people better understand what effective coaching is and how to implement it. Better teaching will lead to better learning, and we have found that better coaching is the most powerful way to make that happen.
What’s the process?
1. Register for Certification
The registration window for each new, annual candidate cohort is November 1-January 31. Payment can be made via PayPal, credit card, or purchase order.
2. Develop Your Portfolio
The ICG Certification process is a demonstration of current, accomplished coaching practice, so we use a multidimensional portfolio process to evaluate a candidate’s coaching practice.
3. The Scoring Process
Scores for each year’s submitted entries are released October 31. Click the link below to see the scoring and calculation process to help candidates understand their scores.
4. Submit Your Portfolio
The entry submission window each year is May 1–June 15. Candidates will receive directions in advance each year explaining how to submit their written documents and videos when this portal opens during that time.
- be employed as a full-time instructional coach for at least two full school years before registering as a candidate,
- spend 60-70% of their work time on coaching (versus administrative tasks, testing, intervention, or other non-coaching tasks), and
- submit registration and portfolio requirements by the specified deadlines.
- The timeline below is for NEW candidates registering in 2020-2021 as Cohort 3. (Three-year process)
- Submit as many portfolio pieces for 2020-2021 as you like between May 1 and June 15, 2021
- Receive your scores by October 31, 2021
- Submit any remaining portfolio piece between May 1 and June 15, 2022 (Both Entry 1 and Entry 2 must be submitted in full by June 15, 2022 to qualify for retakes.)
- Receive your scores by October 31, 2022
- Submit any qualifying retakes for the portfolio between May 1 and June 15, 2023
- Receive final scores and certification notice by October 31, 2023
Refund Policy: Please note that refunds cannot be provided for this program.