The Definitive Guide to Instructional Coaching: Seven Factors for Success
By Jim Knight
For more than 20 years, perfecting such a system has been the paramount objective of best-selling author and coaching guru Jim Knight and his team of researchers at the Instructional Coaching Group (ICG). In The Definitive Guide to Instructional Coaching, Knight offers a blueprint for establishing, administering, and assessing an instructional coaching program laser-focused on every educator’s ultimate goal: the academic success of students.
Organized around ICG’s seven “Success Factors” for great instructional coaching, this book offers
* An in-depth guide to the Impact Cycle, ICG’s research-based and field-tested model for coaching teachers through issues that matter most to them;
* Detailed guidance on how to create a “playbook” of instructional strategies to share with collaborating teachers—and how to model those strategies under different conditions;
* Practical advice on preparing for and engaging in substantive, reflective, and teacher-centered coaching conversations;
* Best practices for gathering, analyzing, and responding to data for improved teaching and learning; and
* Real-life anecdotes and testimonies from educators and coaches who have reaped the benefits of the Impact Cycle in a diverse array of schools.
In addition, each chapter of the book contains a learning map to help orient you and a list of valuable additional resources to complement the text. Whether you’re new to coaching or well versed in the practice, The Definitive Guide to Instructional Coaching will no doubt become your go-to resource for powerful coaching that has an unmistakeable positive impact on students and, indeed, all educators.
Downloads & Resources
Chapter 2 – My Favorite Questions for the Impact Cycle
Chapter 4 – Student and Teacher Forms for Analyzing Video
Chapter 5 – Sample Checks for Understanding