Better Conversations is one of the most popular workshops we offer. Based on the book Better Conversations: Coaching Ourselves and Each Other To Be More Credible, Caring, and Connected, the workshop offers an intensive exploration of six Better Conversations Beliefs and ten Better Conversations Habits that can help anyone communicate more effectively at work or at home.
Effective communication strategies are essential for professional success. Coaches, leaders, and educators who make an impact communicate their message clearly, build healthy emotional connections with others, and maneuver through emotionally complex situations in ways that allow them to speak the truth in ways that will be heard.
Effective communication strategies are even more important in people’s personal lives. We live our lives in relationships, and much of the joy or unhappiness we experience is the direct result of our relationships with others. Effective communication strategies enable us to live happier, more fulfilling lives by enabling us to experience healthier personal relationships.
Tens of thousands of educators around the world have read the book and attended an event. However, as powerful as the workshop is, the real impact of the book and workshop happens when people apply the Beliefs and Habits to their professional and personal lives. Improved communication is a concept that is best learned through application, and this virtual workshop provides an opportunity for just such an experience.
The Better Conversation Beliefs
- Explanation of the Better Conversation Beliefs
- An introduction to the personal reflection activities related to the Beliefs
- Participants discuss their reflections related to the Better Conversations Beliefs
- An overview of what empathy is, why it is important, and how to demonstrate it
Listening and Asking Better Questions
- Participants discuss their experiences demonstrating empathy
- Explanation of why listening is important and explanation to several easy and powerful strategies people can use to improve their listening
- Explanation of characteristics of effective questions
Making Emotional Connections and Finding Common Ground
- Participants discuss their experiences practicing and reflecting on how well they listen and ask questions
- Explanation of the essential components of emotional connection and what people can do to increase emotional connection
- Explanation of strategies people can use to find common ground
Redirect Toxic Conversations and Building Trust
- Participants discuss their experiences practicing and reflecting on building emotional connections and their experiences attempting to find common ground
- Explanation of why redirecting toxic conversations is important and strategies people can use to redirect them
- Explanation of five factors that influence trust
- Cohort meets for one day
- 9:00am - 3:30pm CST, with one 60-minute break for lunch
For individuals with schedule conflicts or who live in different time zones, this workshop is recorded and available for registrants to watch on-demand for 30 days.
If you are interested in attending with a group of 14+ from your school/district and want to ensure you are experiencing this workshop as a team, contact us to register for a private session >>
In the event you need to cancel your virtual workshop registration you can receive a full refund prior to your cohort start date. If you have any questions please contact us at email@example.com
If a workshop cohort does not meet enrollment minimum, registrations will be transferred to another offered cohort date of your choice.
If you do not receive an email containing course information at least 1 day prior to the event, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
What People Are Saying About the Better Conversations Workshop
“This was a great experience and I am excited to continue to learn and grow. I definitely recommend to others. Taking the time to be a engaged learner during our time together will result in new learning and being a better coach!”
“I thought this course was highly beneficial and the skills learned will not only be utilized in my personal life but in my professional life as well. I would recommend this to my colleagues since many of us are in coaching roles/positions. I truly feel I have more resources to have better conversations.”
“I really appreciated the format – especially right now. It was a good variety – presentation, large group discussion, small group discussion, suggestions for readings and reflections on your own time.”
“I wish I had taken this course at the beginning of my career instead of towards the end (although I have a feeling my career will never end; I am having too much fun and courses like this one confirm the passion). It should be a required course for anyone who is in a teaching, coaching, or an administrative role. It would be helpful to pre-service teachers. It is simply the basics to being a good human being.
I am so happy that I invested the time in this class. I must say that Ann Hoffman is perfect for offering this class as she is a beautiful example of better conversation, kindness and respect. I called her ‘an angel with rigor’. Even though the content was beautifully delivered with much respect and demonstrating those habits, there was rigor to the pacing and content of the class.”